Thursday 19 November 2015

Brocaded tablet weaving pattern

Here are the patterns for the strip of brocaded tablet weaving I made recently.  Feel free to use them however you like.  Note that these are brocade patterns; they don't have anything to do with the way the tablets are threaded and could be used for any type of brocade.  My ground weave was just a plain four-hole structure with all the holes threaded in the same colour, which is how the original from Birka was made.

This interlace design is copied from band 2 from Birka grave 824.



The numbers refer to tablets.  By way of a recap, here's what the pattern looks like made up:




This is the pattern for the rune design:



As before, the numbers along the top indicate tablets, but this is a brocade pattern.  It doesn't show how tablets should be threaded.  Each row corresponds to a shed - i.e. a quarter turn of the tablets.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stella.
    I do tabletweaving, mostly for viking reenacting. I would like to learn how to do brocaded patterns, as from grave findings. Do you know of a good place, preferably on the internet, where i can learn this? I understand danish and english.
    I see from your pattern here, that All the white squares are the brocaded placements, but I kind of still need to figur out, just how to do it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariamiss6, I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your comment. Life has kind of gotten in the way of blogging for me lately. Personally, I recommend YouTube. There are quite a few videos on there showing the process of making brocaded tablet weaving, and I find it really helps to be able to watch someone doing it. There's quite a good video here: http://hrolfr.blogspot.com/2017/11/apron-dress-trim-inspired-by-birka.html

      With the diagram I posted, the white squares show where the brocade thread passes over top of the uppermost warp threads, so it's visible on the surface. The coloured squares show where the brocade thread passes underneath that top layer of warp threads. In my experience it does take a while to figure out how to get it looking right, but you'll get there if you haven't already, and your results will be awesome!

      Delete